Just because you don’t have time to make an elaborate Thanksgiving Feast doesn’t mean you have to skip Thanksgiving altogether.
If you have to work on Thanksgiving Day and/or other scheduling chaos this little guide should at least give you a little holiday cheer.
The Night Before
- Do a quick tidy up.
- Set the table and get out any serving dishes, small appliances and utensils you will need.
- Arrange a fresh bowl of fruit and nuts (don’t forget the nutcracker!) as a centerpiece on the table.
- Gather all non-perishable food items you’ll need tomorrow and place somewhere easy to reach but not in the way.
- Move anything that needs to thaw from the freezer to the fridge.
- Mix 1 can (16 ounces) whole berry cranberry sauce with 1 well drained can (8 ounces) mandarin oranges and 1 well drained can (8 ounces) crushed pineapple. Cover and refrigerate.
One Hour Before Dinner
- Heat oven to 350F
- Into a greased, shallow baking dish empty 2 packages (16 ounces each) of frozen mixed vegetables (broccoli, cauliflower, carrots, brussels sprouts, etc.). Top with a package of seasoned bread crumbs combined with 1/4 cup grated Parmesan and dot with butter or margarine. Cover and place in oven.
- Drain one large (40 ounce) can of yams or sweet potatoes. In a deep, well greased casserole dish, mash the yams with 1/4 cup each maple syrup and orange juice, 2 tablespoons butter and 1/2 teaspoon each nutmeg and salt. Cover and place in oven.
- Stack turkey slices cut 1/4 to 1/2 thick from the deli in the middle of a large, well buttered, sheet of foil. Rub some dried sage onto each slice. Wrap well in the buttered foil, place in a shallow baking dish and place in oven.
- Prepare 1 package of instant mashed potatoes using package directions either on stove top or in microwave.
- Prepare one package of stove top style stuffing following package directions either on stove or in microwave.
- Mix and heat 2 cans (12 ounces) of turkey or chicken gravy.
- Toss 1 package of packaged mixed greens salad with diced fresh tomato, apple and cucumber.
10 Minutes Before Dinner
- Uncover vegetable dish and return to oven to let brown.
- Stir finely snipped chives into mashed potatoes.
- Serve salad along with 2 or 3 bottled salad dressings and bread or rolls.
To Serve Dinner
- Place cranberry sauce in small dish on table.
- Spoon the mashed potatoes and the yams into serving bowls and bring to table.
- Arrange turkey slices in middle of a large platter, spooning any juices from foil over top. Then spoon some gravy over top of turkey. Put remaining gravy in a gravy boat or other serving dish and bring the gravy to the table.
- Arrange the stuffing on one side of the turkey on the large platter and the vegetables on the other side. Garnish with a few sprigs of parsley and bring to table.
Finish off with a pumpkin pie and some iced cream.
There we are, dinner is served!